Dr. Christy Michael, a veterinarian at DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital, similarly believes dogs adore peanut butter because it's rich in fat and salt. "Dogs and cats are more likely to treasure food that is heavy in sodium and fat because these factors would be less commonly encountered in their 'wild' diet," Michael stated. What Should I Look For When Selecting The Right Peanut Butter For My Dog? Before you grab your jar of peanut butter to share with your dog, it's important to check the label. Some peanut butters contain a deadly ingredient for dogs — xylitol, a natural sweetener that can cause hypoglycemia and hepatic necrosis in dogs. As long as the peanut butter doesn't have xylitol, Wynn said any kind is fine for dogs, although she would recommend organic. "I personally prefer peanut butter that is organic and contains no sugar or any other additive to keep things simple and clean, and products that come from big retailers that do their own due diligence to keep the products they carry safe and dependable," Wynn said.
Ready to find out more about our new, and upcoming products? Sign up below.
ENTER YOUR EMAIL TO RECEIVE 10% COUPON IMMEDIATELY
- Miracle Recovery: Rev's Journey to the 2019 AKC National Agility Championship Finals copy
- Miracle Recovery: Rev's Journey to the 2019 AKC National Agility Championship Finals
- Choosing the Right Dog for Your Family
- Regaining Canine Mobility: The Story of Susan Garrett and Encore
- How to Find a Pet Sitter
- Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals: Registering, Traveling, and More